Saturday, October 23, 2010

Odaesan National Park - Sogeumgang

I finally made my first trip to Odaesan NP, which is just outside Gangneung, a city about 40 minutes north of me. It's actually the closest national park to me, so I'm not sure why I never made it there before.
I headed to the Sogeumgang area which is in the northeast corner of the park. It only takes the 40 minute bus ride to Gangneung, and then a local bus for just under an hour to the park entrance.
Unfortunately on the city bus there was a class from a boys' high school also going to the park so the bus was bursting and we were squeezed in like sardines, and it was probably at double the legal capacity. However there don't seem to be a lot of laws in Korea, only guidelines, so apparently it wasn't a problem.

The main trail in the region follows the river and so there are dozens of waterfalls along the way. Fortunately the main attraction is the first waterfall, and so most people just walk to that, take a few pictures, and then head home. That meant that there weren't too many people on the trail past that point.
The leaves have started changing colour in the last week or two, but they still haven't reached their peak yet in this region. However I definitely noticed more colour the higher I climbed.

No comments: