Friday, May 30, 2008

Superbank

Banks in Korea have a really bad reputation among the foreign population here. Basically, many services we take for granted back home become much more difficult if you are not Korean. Because of this I don't really want a Korean bank account, but I told my boss I would get one so that she didn't have to go get a big bundle of cash to pay me with every month.
I'd heard that Standard Chartered, which is a Hong Kong-based bank with a Korean subsidiary, was foreigner-friendly so I decided to try there. One of the main things I wanted was an ATM card that I could use to access my money not only in Korea, but also internationally. Most Korean banks, for some reason I can't fathom, will not give these cards to foreigners. That's right, they won't give us an ATM card so that we can withdraw OUR OWN MONEY while abroad. To me, logic suggests that we are more likely to need these cards than Koreans do, but anyways.
So I went downtown to Standard Chartered where the cute teller told me in pretty good English that they can't give international ATM cards to foreigners. However, as I mentioned, she was cute, so I spent about 45 minutes opening an account which I'll probably never use. Even though I showed her my passport, my alien registration card which shows I have a legal work visa for South Korea, and my Japanese VISA card, she could not issue me an ATM card because she couldn't get a hold of my boss to verify I had a job.
So I decided that if none of them were going to give me the ATM card I want, I may as well just get an account at the bank that is most convenient for me.
There's a Nonghyup bank about 1 minute from my apartment and they've got branches everywhere so I went to them.The teller there, who was not as cute, spoke zero English. However, I was still able to get an account and a (domestic) ATM card within 10 minutes. Superbank indeed. The picture is my new bankbook, and in the centre of the bottom, although a little blurry, says in English, "Human Bank, Human Life." Kind of leaves you all warm and fuzzy, doesn't it.

No comments: