Sunday, October 03, 2010

Shimanami Kaido

A week ago we had Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving) so I ended up with 6 days off. I flew over to Okayama, Japan to see my buddy Trev and his family and a few other friends.
The humidity had finally dropped in Korea a few days before but when I landed in Okayama at 8 at night, I was disappointed to find out that it was still very humid there. Fortunately, it disappeared in the middle of my trip.
I had decided that I wanted to do the Shimanami Kaido, which is a system of 7 or 8 bridges that connect the main Japanese island of Honshu with the 4th largest island of Shikoku, by hopping over several small islands between them.
Apparently when they built it they took bicycles into consideration so it's excellent for biking. Most of the way you follow the regular roads on a dedicated bike lane, but they built special approaches to the bridges for bikes, which although longer, make the climb much more gradual (and manageable).
I rented a bike for about $25 for 2 days in Onomichi in Honshu and hopped the short ferry to the first island to start.
In the first picture above you can see the first bridge.

This is the dedicated bike/walking lane of the first bridge, that is underneath the car lanes. This is really nice because you're not sucking in fumes, however the flip side is that the view is very restricted.
Because it was September and midweek, I saw very few people biking the route. It took me about 10 hours total over 2 days, but I probably only saw about 20 people total biking it. Considering it's one of the more popular bike trips in Japan, I was expecting to see a lot more. I also only saw 2 foreigners.

No comments: