Friday, March 13, 2009

Military Exercises

The military presence is HUGE in South Korea, especially up toward the North Korean border. I'm far enough south however that I don't see them that often. There's a very small base about a 20 minute walk from my place, but they usually stay there and train in the mountains.
There's a tiny park across the street from our school, and the kids usually play there before and after class (sometimes even during, so I have to go over there and corral the little buggers).
Yesterday, for some reason I can't fathom, the army was holding some kind of military exercise in this tiny park, at the same time as the kids were playing there. I assume that they don't carry live ammunition, but it was still pretty strange to have these little kids running around all these automatic weapons.
In the second picture you can see part of a little bunker they've made out of green sand bags.
I wanted to get closer to take some better pictures, but as South Koreans can be quite xenophobic and paranoid about foreigners, I didn't want them mistaking me for a spy.
While I was taking pictures, some of my students got jealous and insisted I take pictures of them. This first one is Gilbert, one of my more "energetic" boys.
In this picture you can see Gilbert with his sister Amy in the white, and some of the other girls.

No comments: