Monday, October 13, 2008

Hallasan

Dad's in South Korea now, so I took him down to Jeju Island in the far south of the country. South Koreans think of Jeju as their version of Hawaii. I've been to Hawaii and I think they're deluding themselves, but it's still a very beautiful island.
The tallest mountain in South Korea, Hallasan, is located on the island. I climbed Fuji twice while I was in Japan, so I figured I better give this one a shot, too. Hallasan is only 1,950m, however, just over half Fuji's 3,776m. It's a little higher than Golden Ears in Maple Ridge, which is just over 1,700m.
I caught a bus from Jeju City at 6am up the east side of the mountain to the start of the Seongpanak trail, which is just under 10km one way. I started hiking about 6:45 am, and reached the summit just under 4 hours later around 10:30. I was the fourth person to arrive at the top that day, and the first foreigner (Go Canada!) On the way back down I met a few Germans and some Japanese, but the great majority of hikers were Korean.
The trail was quite nice, and much more gradual than the trail up Fuji. The weather cooperated for the most part, however it was hazy so I was unable to see the sea.
The first picture is obviously of the trail, while the second is of the crater. During the rainy season the crater fills up quite a bit, and so there's a pretty big lake then, but because the rainy season ended a few months ago, all that remained was the little pond visible in the lower right.
The third picture is looking north toward the sea, with the haze obscuring the view.

No comments: