Sunday, September 14, 2008

Chuseok

Chuseok is the biggest Korean holiday. It's importance is comparable to our Thanksgiving and Christmas combined. So I ended up with a four day weekend. I would've loved to have gone somewhere, but apparently all the highways throughout the country become like parking lots as 50 million Koreans travel to their hometowns, so I decided to stay home.
It's customary for Korean employers to give Chuseok gifts to their employees. All of the grocery stores have big displays with women wearing traditional Korean clothing, trying to get you to buy overpriced boxes of crap. I even saw a gift box made up entirely of cans of Spam. I am not making that up. I forgot to check the price, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.
Anyways, Korean pears are quite popular here, so my boss gave us each a box of pears. The box was 7.5 kg, with 10 pears in it, meaning 750g per pear. They're huge!!! They're not shaped like our pears either. They're a similar colour and the skin is similar, but they look like a really big, heavy apple. And to be perfectly honest, I don't understand all the fuss. Their peaches are WAY better. So I've still got 8 ridiculously gigantic pears that I'll probably never be able to finish.

1 comment:

Ablefish said...

Cool - now take a picture of one of them so we can see something a little more interesting than a cardboard box.