Saturday, July 05, 2008

Crazy Old Woman

The parcel of land next to my school/apartment is vacant, and so it's quite common for older Koreans to plant vegetable gardens on any empty land they can find. I guess the laws are different than in Canada, but it appears that if land isn't developed, it's fair game.
I don't know if she owns this land, or where she lives, but it seems she's always working in this garden. I usually go for a run at about 5:30 every morning, and she's often out in the garden when I go. She said something to me once, but I had no idea what she was talking about, so she's left me alone ever since.
Apparently, because they've realized she's not all there, some of the kids enjoy taunting her as they come and go from the school. I heard that one of the kids actually said something that bothered her enough that she went and slapped the kid. Another time, I had just started teaching a class on the second floor, when the door opened and she walked in and started yapping at some of the kids. I was pretty shocked to say the least, and didn't understand what was happening, but as she didn't seem threatening, I let her finish her spiel and then leave. I asked my boss to make it clear to her that she should not be coming in the classrooms under any circumstances, and should be addressing any concerns to my boss. I think my boss realizes she's nuts though, and isn't really sure how to handle her.

No comments: