Monday, May 05, 2008

Gyeryongsan National Park

Gyeryongsan is located in the mountains to the northwest of Daejeon, only about 15km from my place. It took me an hour to get there, via 2 city buses. I went up there yesterday to go for a short hike and to get some fresh air. As it was Sunday and it's the closest national park to Daejeon, it was quite busy, and there were thousands of over-accessorized (is that even a word?) Koreans on the trails. I'm pretty sure you don't need ski pole-like hiking sticks on cement, which is what the trail was for the first section (and the only section the majority of the visitors use). A lot of them looked like they were stocked for a week in the middle of nowhere, cut off from all of humanity, rather than only a half hour walk from several restaurants. It was also great to see that even on a hike in a national park, many of them still need to yap on their cell phones. But I digress.
Although I saw literally thousands of people in the park, big surprise, I was the only foreigner. Anyways, the park was quite nice, and being in the mountains, was a bit cooler than in the city, so I'm sure I'll be up there again when the heat and humidity really kick in in the summer.

No comments: